Wednesday, January 29, 2014

S'mores Cookies


The winter always seems to bring out the worst in me. It inflates all my fears and self doubts. It makes me less motivated, tired, less social. It's too cold to spend time outside and too dark to convince myself otherwise. I have been trying to fight the winter blues for a few weeks now. I'm trying to remind myself to keep my chin up. There's only a few more months until it will be warm again, and the days are already starting to get longer. I've been trying to convince myself that it's ok to stay in my bed on my days off and write letters and drink endless cups of tea. But it's hard to not get weighed down by a lack of "productivity" this time of year. This is a cookie that came about because I have drank too much hot chocolate and wanted to use the rest of my mini marshmallows in something new. These cookies came about because our house was too cold and I needed an excuse to keep the oven on for an hour or two. So I could stand in front of it and place my hands on the sides to finally warm them up without taking another bath. The overflowing plate of cookies was a good excuse to pile under blankets and watch a movie marathon. The empty plate was a good reason to go to sleep, comfy and happy. Sometimes winter isn't too terrible.

leaves and flours vegan S'mores Cookies

Vegan S'mores Cookies

1 tbl Ener-G powder
3 tbl water
1 cup Earth Balance margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbl vegan "honey" syrup or brown rice syrup
1 1/4 cup graham flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup Dandies mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350. Combine Ener-G and water and allow to thicken. Cream Earth Balance and sugars. Add egg replacer, syrup & vanilla. Slowly mix in flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips & mini marshmallows. Scoop cookies, slightly flatten tops, and chill dough for at least two hours to keep from spreading. Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges of the cookies are slightly browned. Some of the marshmallows not fully inside the cookie dough might expand and get bubbly. They look a little silly, but still taste great.

leaves and flours vegan S'mores Cookies

6 comments:

  1. Call me crazy, but I actually like the sound of your type of winter. It's sunny where I live and barely got a hint of rain and heavy clouds just two days ago. It's not really cold outside, (except for the night!) not feeling like winter at all! I love the cold weather, cloudy days, and rain. They're perfect excuses for movie marathons, comfy blankets, & fresh baked cookies. I hope that your winter blues go away soon and you start feeling better.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything i love, all in one cookie! the winter blues are real and they are happening— i feel like a completely different person in the winter. audio books and solo paper shopping trips (if i can convince myself to leave the house) do wonders for me though. . . and i bet a few of these cookies wouldn't hurt either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the winter blues! I am so ready for spring. I wish I could stay in bed all day and eat your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting in bed all day, cozy and cookie-full in the winter. But I know that guilty unproductive feeling you're talking about. It sucks. I think these cookies would fix that, and probably any other problems in the world too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain my friend :--( But these cookies look so good that I think they should make up for it, right? ;--) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the feeling, Winter just seems to drag on and on! These cookies look absolutely amazing though! By the way,I nominated you for the Liebster blog award. You can find the questions on my latest blog post :)

    ReplyDelete