Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Maple Pear Cobbler


leaves and flours vegan Maple Pear Cobbler

I keep getting caught up in waves of things. This weekend was a whirlwind of fun, and now I am deep into cleaning mode. I am going through my closets, and the kitchen, and my endless shelves of bakeware. I even managed to make it through the spice drawer. Living with four other people has it's benefits (i.e. cheap rent), but you always end up with redundancies of things. We had 4 jars of cloves, 3 jars of cinnamon, 3 jars of nutmeg, 3 jars of thyme, 2 jars of dill, and on and on. I managed to condense everything down to at least 2 jars or less. Small wins. Now it is on to tackle the endless dishes and silverware. I probably need to invest in even more plastic containers to keep things as neat as possible. I would start researching storage solutions on pinterest, but I know it would devolve into a dangerous spiral and soon I would be trying to fishtail braid my hair into some elaborate up-do or painting zig zag stripes on the seats of all out kitchen chairs. At least I know my weaknesses.
These cobblers were a good use of finishing up a few ingredients. I polished off the remaining red pears, emptied a mason jar of flour & an older bottle of maple syrup. I don't even want to admit that the Earth Balance I needed came from three separate end bits of Earth Balance sticks I found in various fridge drawers. There isn't a whole lot to the cobblers. They are easy and simple and best of all they smell like brunch. It's like eating a pear compote topped plate of warm french toast. I sort of compiled my own recipe from two other recipes. The maple pear filling is based off of this recipe from Smells Like Home, and the biscuit topping is an alteration from the Very Berry Chocolate Chip Cobbler in Vegan Pie in the Sky. Also, I used regular Earth Balance because I wanted to get rid of as many things as possible, but they just released a new cinnamon spread that would probably be pretty dreamy here.

Maple Pear Cobbler
4 four inch individual cobblers

For filling
2 red pears, chopped into 1/3" pieces
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tbl flour
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
a pinch of salt
a pinch of cloves
1 tbl Earth Balance
All the pears, maple syrup, flour, and spices to a medium sized bowl and mix with hands until the pears are evenly coated. Portion into oven safe ramekins. Add tiny slivers of Earth Balance to tops of each dish, cover with foil or place a sheet pan over top of all the dishes and baked at 425 for 15 minutes.

For topping
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbl sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbl Earth Balance
a few teaspoons cinnamon sugar for sprinkling*
Combine almond milk, vinegar, and maple syrup in a cup to curdle. Add flour, baking powder, sugar, and spices to a bowl. Cut in the Earth Balance using a fork until tiny pea sized balls form. Fold in the wet ingredients just before your timer goes off on the pear mixture in the oven. Dollop on top of the dishes until you have your desired coverage, I ended up not needing all of the topping. Sprinkle on a bit of cinnamon sugar and continue baking at 425 for 15 to 20 more minutes until the biscuit bits are firm to the touch and golden. Best when eaten warm.
*If you don't keep a jar of cinnamon sugar handy at all times, you should. I use a ratio of 1 cup of sugar to 2 tablespoons cinnamon.

2 comments: