Friday, March 2, 2012

Double Decker Boston Cream Cupcakes

leaves and flours vegan double decker boston cream cupcakes

This was another cleaning out the shelves dessert. I had a two pound bag of vegan pastry cream that I was given over the holidays. I used it to make a few dozen boston cream donuts for a bakesale; I put the rest in a tupperware and forgot about it until I cleaned out my fridge a while later. Instead of torting the cupcakes, I thought it would be fun to stack the cupcakes on top of each other for a more standard cake to cream ratio. I basically made a dozen vanilla cupcakes using the VCTOTW recipe. After they cooled, I peeled off all the liners. I piped a dollop of cream on an upside down cupcake, stacked the other cupcake on top, and ganached them thoroughly.
If you weren't lucky enough to recently receive a bag of pastry cream as a gift, there are plenty of pastry cream recipes around. People use all sorts of things from instant potatoes to tofu. Also if you don't like the hourglass shape that my double decker cakes have, you could bake a sheet cake and cut out circles of cake using a cookie cutter. It would be like the beginning stages of making a giant petit four.

5 comments:

  1. oh wow....these look amazing!!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these seem like a fun idea. i think using cupcakes makes the whole process simpler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the BEST idea! I can't wait to use this as gifts or if I know people are coming over and I can just casually be like, "want some cake?" and then BOOM! Super awesome cupcake stack in their FACE! Also I bet it's delicious :)

    ReplyDelete