Sunday, December 4, 2011

Peanut Butter Dog Treats

This week I wanted to make snacks for a few of my canine friends. After perusing the internet for some inspiration, I decided it wouldn't be too difficult to make a batch of vegan peanut butter treats.

Vegan Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Around 15 treats

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup soy milk

Preheat oven to 375F. Mix flour and baking powder. Stir in peanut butter and soy milk. Roll out dough on parchment paper to a 1/3" thickness. The treats won't spread, so place closely together on cookie sheets lined with parchment or a silpat mat. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

leaves and flours vegan peanut butter dog treats

For additional 'aww' factor I piped some peanut butter decorations on using a Wilton #3 tip.
This peanut butter won't firm, so I don't recommend these for treats you plan on storing.
I suggest using a low sugar peanut butter; it's not good for pups to eat too much sugar. Also, I wouldn't advise using almond milk. I've read a lot of scary things about severe almond allergies in dogs.

So far all of the dogs have been really happy with them! Tail wags galore.
Do you have any fun DIY gifts for your companions? Has anyone tried making vegan cat treats?!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. We make vegan pb dog treats for our pooches too and I always make extra batches for others canine friends around the holidays. We package them up in stamped brown parcels and it's one of my favorite gift-giving traditions. :)

    -Sara-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx friend any tips for natural homemade dog food??Excellent Post! I just noticed this change a few minutes ago and made a short post about it. I will include your post in it.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    How To Make Dog Bones

    ReplyDelete